The United States Embassy in Abuja has issued a security alert to American citizens ahead of a planned protest by retired Nigerian military personnel over outstanding pension adjustments.
The protest is scheduled for Wednesday, August 19, 2026, with demonstrators expected to gather around the Ministry of Defence in Abuja.
In an alert issued on Tuesday, August 18, the embassy warned that the demonstration could lead to traffic congestion and temporary road restrictions, particularly around Olusegun Obasanjo Way and adjoining routes.
The embassy advised U.S. citizens to avoid the protest area, use alternative routes and exercise caution around large gatherings.
According to the embassy, retired military personnel are expected to protest over what they described as unmet pension adjustments.
Although the demonstration is expected to be peaceful, the embassy warned that large gatherings can become unpredictable and could potentially result in confrontations involving protesters, counter-protesters or security personnel.
The embassy said the size of the crowd would determine the extent of traffic disruption and road restrictions in the area.
It urged Americans who encounter the demonstration to avoid the area and return home or use alternative routes where possible.
The embassy issued several precautionary measures to U.S. citizens in Abuja, including:
- Avoid the protest area and large gatherings.
- Remain alert and monitor local media for developments.
- Keep a low profile and carry proper identification.
- Keep mobile phones fully charged.
- Review personal security plans and emergency arrangements.
- Be prepared to change travel routes or plans if necessary.
The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos remain open, according to the advisory.
The advisory also comes amid changes to U.S. consular operations in Nigeria.
From August 1, 2026, routine U.S. visa applications previously handled in Abuja were transferred to the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos.
The U.S. Mission said the move was part of a broader realignment of visa operations across Africa aimed at strengthening screening, vetting and adjudication processes while improving operational efficiency.
The change means Nigerians seeking routine U.S. visas are now required to process their applications in Lagos.

